The internship is a full-time, paid position that provides a unique learning opportunity for students by exposing them to many aspects of a full-service accounting firm. The internship program begins in January, and the interns will experience the process through the filing deadline on April 15. Interns will be assigned a mentor and will work closely with all levels of our staff, including partners. We view our interns as important members of our team and they will have many responsibilities.Responsibilities:
- Interns will be exposed to Tax, Audit, and Accounting Services. However, the internship will primarily involve the preparation of federal, state, and local income tax returns for businesses, individuals and trusts. This will typically include corporate Forms 1120 and 1120S, partnership and LLC Form 1065, fiduciary and trust Form 1041, and individual Form 1040.
- Preparation of IRS informational returns 1099 and 1096.
- Preparation of electronic tax workpapers to support items of income and expense reported on tax returns from client records.
- Maintenance of client fixed asset accounting records and depreciation schedules.
- Communication with associates, clients and other advisors to properly interpret and report taxable transactions.
- Quality assurance review and analysis of completed client financial statements.
- Assistance with audit, review and compilation engagements as needed.
We typically seek Junior and Senior level students with an accounting major and the ability to adjust their schedules to work with us full time. This provides a better learning opportunity for the intern and more efficiency for our firm. Full time is defined as approximately 40 hours per week throughout the internship; however, there is flexibility to accommodate a light class schedule if necessary. Partial days on Saturday will be mandatory as busy season progresses. Opportunities for overtime will also be available based on the needs of the firm.Requirements
- Must be actively enrolled in an undergraduate program at an accredited local University with a major in accounting. Must be Junior or Senior level with a current GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Strong work ethic, organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
- A high level of integrity, dependability, enthusiasm and confidentiality of client information.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel & Word strongly recommended.
- Ability to work independently on tasks and projects under the supervision of a manager or higher level associate.
- A tax class is recommended, but not required.
- Motivation and willingness to learn.
Intern Testimonials 2016
“I never felt like just an intern. From day one, I felt like part of the team and I think that was really helpful getting through busy season. Even with how busy everything gets, when I asked for help, everyone that I asked stopped what they were doing to help me work through what I was struggling with. That means so much as an intern.” - M.G., Kent State University
“The internship program broadened my perception of public accounting. … I enjoyed being treated as not just an intern but on an equal level as any other staff member. Participating in actual accounting work and knowing I was being counted on to complete returns on my own was motivating.” - M.F., University of Mount Union
“I would certainly recommend 415 Group as a superb place of employment. The firm is well respected, the staff is very accepting and the environment is quite positive.” - J.B., University of Cincinnati
Intern Testimonials 2015
“As a tax intern, I was able to work on a diverse amount of income tax returns. I love being able to do different things. Other firms don't give you the chance to do tax, audit and bookkeeping. To me, the most important aspect of 415 Group, compared to other firms, is everybody genuinely cares about each other. It makes coming to work easy and enjoyable.” - M.R., Kent State University
“I liked the idea of being at a smaller firm … you can get your busy season experience but also feel like you are wanted and not just another number. A place of this size allows you to work on different types of returns and do different aspects of public accounting like tax and auditing.” - C.D., The University of Akron
“This experience, even if nothing more comes out of this than my first internship, has given me the utmost respect for the professionals at 415 Group. I will always be grateful for the knowledge and growth that I gained here. The honesty, sincerity and courtesy that I have seen in the people here allow me to say to people that I truly love where I work.” - M.W., University of Mount Union